Britain on Monday included India on the coronavirus ‘red list’ of nations, banning all arrivals from the country amid a huge spike in cases. The decision was announced hours after UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson cancelled his visit because of the coronavirus situation in India.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced the “vital but difficult decision has been made due to a new COVID variant first identified in India, which has been deemed a variant under investigation”.
The red list has around 40 worst covid affected nations. According to the British government, if a person has travelled in or back from any of the listed countries in the last 10 days, they would be refused entry to the United Kingdom.
“If you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK, you will be able to enter. You must quarantine in a government approved hotel for 10 days,” a British government websitelisting travel rules read.
According to figures from the COVID-19 Genomics UK Consortium (COG-UK), 182 cases of the India variant have so far been found in the UK up to 16 April.
The International Cricket Council on Monday said the World Test Championship final, to be contested between India and New Zealand in Southampton from June 18, will go ahead as planned after Britain added India to travel “red list” after COVID-19 caseload surge.
“The ECB and other members have demonstrated how we can stage international cricket safely in the middle of a pandemic and we are confident that we can continue to do that and that the WTC Final will go ahead as planned in June in the UK,” said the ICC in a statement.