New Delhi: At least 22 security personnel have lost their lives in the Naxal attack at Sukma-Bijapur in Chhattisgarh. One soldier is still believed to be missing.
The attack took place in a jungle near the border between Bijapur and Sukma districts in Chhattisgarh.
I bow to the sacrifices of our brave security personnel martyred while fighting Maoists in Chhattisgarh. Nation will never forget their valour. My condolences are with their families. We will continue our fight against these enemies of peace & progress. May injured recover soon.— Amit Shah (@AmitShah) April 4, 2021
Union Home Minister Amit Shah spoke to Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel today. He also directed the Director-General of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) Kuldeep Singh to visit Chhattisgarh to assess the situation.
22 security personnel have lost their lives in the Naxal attack at Sukma-Bijapur in Chhattisgarh, says SP Bijapur, Kamalochan Kashyap— ANI (@ANI) April 4, 2021
Visuals from the Sukma-Bijapur Naxal attack site pic.twitter.com/C3VvAdvjaN
Director-General, CRPF, Kuldip Singh reached Chhattisgarh this morning to look into the situation. CRPF ADG (HQ) Zulfiqar Hassan and IG (Operations) Nalin Prabhat are also on the ground in Chhattisgarh.
Meanwhile, the Indian Air Force deployed Mi-17 helicopters to help the paramilitary forces in rescue operations in Sukma where 5 jawans were killed in an encounter with Naxals.
My thoughts are with the families of those martyred while fighting Maoists in Chhattisgarh. The sacrifices of the brave martyrs will never be forgotten. May the injured recover at the earliest.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 3, 2021
“My thoughts are with the families of those martyred while fighting Maoists in Chhattisgarh. The sacrifices of the brave martyrs will never be forgotten. May the injured recover at the earliest.” PM Modi tweeted.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah condoled the deaths of security personnel in Chhattisgarh. “We will continue our fight against these enemies of peace & progress,” Shah said referring to the Maoists who ambushed jawans in Tarrem.
DIG Naxal Operations – OP Pal – Encounter lasted for 3 hours, 5 security personals killed, 12 injured; one dead body of a female #Maoist also recovered. Rescue ops on. #Bijapur #Chhattisgarh https://t.co/imkssdXPsn pic.twitter.com/eRd92jyURB— Aashish (@Ashi_IndiaToday) April 3, 2021
According to Sundarraj Pattilingam, Inspector General of Police in Bastar Range of Chhattisgarh, nine more Naxals have been killed and around 15 others have been injured in the encounter. As per the reports, around 250 Naxalites were present during the time of encounter.
Just last month, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) had arrested three Naxals for planting IEDs to target security forces. Two IEDs were recovered during the operation at Bakarkatta in Chhattisgarh’s Sukma district.
Among the Maoists arrested was a deputy commander of a militia platoon.